April 22, 2014

Punjab: My Favorite Indian Food!

I LOVE INDIAN FOOD! I would go as far as saying it's one of my favorite cuisines. The funny thing is, I didn't discovered and fall in love with it until several years ago.

The first time my husband and I had Indian food was at the Quincy Market in Boston. We obviously had curry before. We often eat Chinese or Japanese curry at home or in restaurants. But it was the first time both him and I had Indian curry. And we were hooked!

After we returned from our trip to Boston, we began exploring this new found culinary-territory. We began with a few Indian restaurants in our neighborhood. Then we expanded our search and drove to Indian restaurants 30 miles away. It kind of became a passion. And we continued this passion as we travel abroad.

It first started of as a simple curiosity. We wanted to see how Indian food tasted like in London. Then it became this unofficial tradition. Now whenever we travel to a new place, we like to hunt down an Indian restaurant and have at least one Indian meal. From Barcelona to Singapore, from Michelin-starred restaurant to a hole-in-the-wall, we have tasted Indian food all over! I also had the opportunity to taste authentic Indian food when I visited India with my mother.

Now looking back, my life-without-Indian-food seems like a lifetime ago. I don't know how I reached my adulthood without ever trying it. All the exploring and tasting have only heighten my love for Indian food. More importantly, I have realized that I like North Indian food the most.

India is a large country. Geographically it is about 1/3 of the U.S..As cuisines vary by regions in the States, Indian cuisines is predominately differentiated by the South and the North.

South Indian food is stronger flavored, heavier, and much spicier. Some say it's the hottest of all Indian food! I guess it has to do with the climate. South India is hotter and more humid. So people probably need spicier food to have a better appetite.

North Indian food is milder, richer, thicker, and creamier. It incorporates lots of diary products such as milk, cream, cottage cheese, and yogurt. My favorite dish is "martar panner", a creamy mild and sweet curry with peas and cottage cheese cubes. My husband's favorite dish is "chicken makhani" or more commonly known as "butter chicken". It's chicken cooked in butter, yogurt, and tomato. So the gravy is thick, creamy, and a little tangy. The two together is a prefect combo. The sweetness and the tanginess go so well together!

I would say some of the best North Indian food I have had was in London. But, my favorite local Indian restaurant is in Corona, California. It's called Punjabi Tandoor. Punjab is a Northwest region of India, so it serves North Indian food.

Punjabi Tandoor in Corona California. It also has location in Anaheim and San Diego.
Combo #5 $8.99: a vegetarian curry, a meat curry, rice, naan, and kheer (rice pudding)
 Left yellow curry: martar panner. Right red curry: chicken makhani/butter chicken
Coincidentally, CNN premiered season 3 of  "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown". The first episode is about Punjab! The food looks so delicious! See for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment