April 29, 2014

Learn to Make Ancient Italian Mosaic Art in California!

I love mosaics. It's the art of creating an image or design from putting together pieces of materials such as stone or glass. I am especially obsessed with traditional Roman mosaics and Byzantine mosaics, ever since I learned about them in my college art history class. Heck, I love them so much, I went to Italy for two months just because I wanted to see them all in person!

Traditional Roman mosaics could be found in ancient ruins. Romans used them to decorate architecture's any given surface, such as the floor and the wall. In a similar fashion, nowadays we decorate our buildings with wall paper and carpets. 
Byzantine mosaics refers to a style of mosaic that emerged during the Eastern Roman Empire, a.k.a. the Byzantine Empire. It's characterized by its intricate details, complex content, rich colors, and opulent use of gold. May of these mosaics could still be admired today in cathedrals or basilicas throughout Italy. 
While I was in Ravenna, the "mosaic capital of the world", I stumbled upon a mosaic studio that creates and teaches mosaics. It was then I realized, "Oh my god, this is something I could actually learn!"
Even the street signs are made of mosaics!
 Koko Mosaico, a mosaic studio in Ravenna, Italy. 
Mosaic could be modern too!
So, it was either try to find a place that teaches mosaics in the States, or I will return to Ravenna as my last resort. Luckily, I found an amazing place in Berkeley, California. And the past week, I completed my very first mosaic class!

I took the "Ravenna Method 5 Days Intensive Class" at the Institute of Mosaic. The studio was the perfect setting to learn and to create. The staff and the students were very friendly and supportive. Everyone was passionate about mosaics, which was so inspiring! My class was taught by Michael Kruzich, who received his training in Ravenna. Michael was extremely knowledgeable, thorough, and patient. Everyone was so immersed into the mosaics, 5 days of 8 hour work flew by in a flash. Although at times I was afraid I couldn't finish, in the end I completed my first mosaic project. I couldn't be more pleased with my very first experience, and I am beyond excited for more!
Institute of Mosaic, Berkeley, California
 The store
 I am so inspired by my fellow classmates and so proud of their beautiful works!
Check out how they do it the traditional way in Ravenna, explained by Michael's teacher Maestra Luciana Notturni.
Check out how Koko Mosaico does contemporary mosaics.

No comments:

Post a Comment