May 13, 2014

How To Choose The Right Luggage To Check-In?

There are many luggages out there. When buying a luggage, it's easy to be drawn towards the ones that look really pretty or really cool. But don't forget, the main purpose of a luggage is to transfer your belonging from point A to point B, conveniently and safely, without costing you an arm or a leg. So let's get down to it. Let me show you my guidelines to choose the right checked-in luggage!

1) When choosing a luggage, it's all about the size and the weight. 
Domestic and international airlines have strict regulations, and high fees, when it comes to checked-in baggage. In general, the common allowance for a checked baggage is 50 lb/23 kg, with the total width + length + height dimensions of 62 in/158 cm. The common size bag is 27 x 21 x 14 in. Overweight and/or oversize baggage could be charged with additional fees $50-$200 PER PIECE! This Worldwide Baggage Fee Chart shows both domestic and international airlines' baggage rules and fees.

One might think, "The bigger the luggage, the more stuff I could be pack in there." However, bigger is not always better. Many luggages, even the small and medium size ones, are heavy even when it's empty! Once they are fully packed, luggages like that can easily be overweight. That's why, I prefer to choose the lightest possible luggage, in a reasonable medium size .
This Victorinox Swiss Army bag is my tried-and-true luggage. I also purchased a similar luggage from Travelpro that was just as light. However, after using both of them on actual trips, I realized the Victorinox one is so much better in quality and design, especially the smooth wheels and the durable side handles 
 It weighs 7 lb when its empty. 
2) Always choose four-wheels over two-wheels!
Four-wheels luggage are extremely convenient and easy to maneuver. It can be rolled frontal or sideway, upright or titled. When the luggage is heavy or when my hands are full with other smaller bags, I like to sit my smaller bags on top of the luggage, and push everything together in an upright position. You can't do that with a two-wheels!
3) Multiple handles
A lot of times, I need to snatch or dig for my luggage, especially when I am reaching for it on the baggage carousel. Having multiple handles make the luggage easy to grab onto. Durability of these handles are important, as the airpot baggage handlers tend to throw baggage rather than handle with care. 
4) Sturdy extendable handles
It's important to test that the handle is easily adjustable to a comfortable height, in relations to its size and your height and arm length. 

4) Extendable zippers
Extendable zippers are useful when I want to increase the volume of my luggage. However, this won't be very helpful if the luggage is already heavy, thus could become over the weight limit. 
5) Spacious interior
I like a luggage with simple and spacious interior, with only 1 or 2 pockets. This way, I can pack the content whichever way I want. 
Do you have a favorite luggage? I would love to see a photo of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment