April 15, 2014

Simple DIY Vanity Table

I want to share something I am pretty proud and excited about: my new vanity table!

I never had a vanity table. I've always applied my makeup while standing in front of a mirror, over the bathroom counter. I like being able to lean in and stand back to see how my makeup looks as a whole.

But my husband likes to do his hair at the counter where I store and do my makeup, and we are always hogging each other's space, so I decided something had to change.

I didn't want to search and buy a vanity table. So I got creative. I had these spare closet organizing drawers. They were a good height. So I thought to give them a try. And the result is amazing!

Now I have my own little space, I find myself spending more time at the vanity table. I do my makeup more frequently. Before, as much as I like doing makeup, standing 15-60 minutes at a time was a drag. So I didn't make effort to look put together as often as I should. Now I really enjoy doing my makeup! Not only that, I take more care to do my skincare routine, I do my nails and my hair, all at my new vanity table!

My husband is happy as well! Now he has his own space to do his hair AND a wife who looks presentable. All of this from changing and creating a new space! I couldn't be more pleased :)

My lovely niche in the bathroom!
Faux leather stool from Uban Home
My sister bought me this gramophone for Christmas. It doesn't require any outlet or battery. I love popping in my iphone and playing music while I do my makeup!
I bought this crystal jar at a flea market. It's perfect for storing Q-tips, and the lid keeps it sanitary!
This 5x vanity mirror is a bit pricey but so worth it! 
It's cordless, it has a sensor that turns the light on as my face gets close, and turns off automatically by itself!
These organizing drawers were hand-me-downs from my sister. They are really good quality so they have lasted for years!
Drawer liners are great investments! They protect clothes from getting dusty. And in this case, they prevent little stuff from falling out.
To connect the two organizing drawers, I used a spare shelf from a cabinet in my house.
The shelf fits perfectly in between the counter-top and the rack!
Because of that, I can slide the shelf forward and backward!
To prevent the mirror from falling over, I hold it in place with a large binder clip.
This mirror was only $1.50! It's simple and it serves the purpose.
I can slide it forward to get a close-up, or backward to see my whole face.
Drawer by drawer: here are my concealers and eye brow pencils. The blue tray is a stationary divider meant for pens and pencils.
Blushes and lipsticks. The white trays are drawer organizers I bought from TJMax.
Eyeliners and mascaras.
Eye shadows and false lashes.
Makeup brushes and tissue.
Nail polishes and lighter for my candle.
Hair stuff.
Hope this inspires you to be creative!

2 comments:

  1. Wow amazing!!! I love at your old house you did the wire hanging on your medicine cabinet as well! That was beyond cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! I've totally forgotten about that one!

    ReplyDelete